Payment & Warranty
While we take great care in the preparation & production of this website, occasionally errors in description & pricing may occur. In the event of a pricing error, the item(s) in question will be charged at correct price and we will contact you for approval prior to your payment.
We reserve the right to add additional delivery charges for difficult to ship/large sized items or to remote locations. Customers will be notified before shipping if there is an additional charge.
When you confirm an order an invoice will be emailed to you providing the deposit amount required to secure your order for manufacturing. Contact us at email@example.com if there is any problem with your order after confirmation.
All orders including Custom Products, Stock Order Planters require a 30% down payment before order is processed. The remaining 70% is due when item is delivered.
We do not ship outside Ontario, Canada.
Payment: We accept Cash, INTERAC e-Transfer, or by money order/cashier's cheque (must be received and cleared before order is shipped).
VegiGro Garden Planters. warrants our planters against defects in materials and workmanship under normal/residential use for a period of two (2) years, as applicable, from the date of receipt of the product by the original end-user consumer. This warranty does not apply to normal wear and tear and/or natural weather conditions. This warranty does not cover regular required maintenance of the planter, (eg. Tightening screws on the legs, top , cleaning or staining the planter ). This warranty does not cover misuse or negligence and the manufacturer and associated retailers are not liable for any injury or damage caused by the product. This warranty is a parts only warranty and any service or labor costs would not be considered as part of the 2 year warranty.
VegiGro Garden Planters warranties all products against defects while being shipped. The purchaser is responsible for filing any claims with the shipping company if a product arrives damaged. We will assist the purchaser with any such claims if requested. In providing this assistance, VegiGro Garden Planters does not assume any responsibility.
In most cases it will be just one piece that is damaged and we can send you a replacement part or piece. If the entire order is damaged refuse the shipment. The freight company will return the damaged Item to us at no cost to you. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at: 1-705-309-8511 and inform us of the damage. We will get replacements out to you ASAP. We want you happy and satisfied with your order. Please be sure to keep all of your paperwork as we may need copies for the freight claim.
All custom work is final and not returnable unless defective workmanship is determined. Defective custom-made items will be repaired, not refunded.